Breakfast is the first meal of the day after waking up and eaten in the morning.
From physiological perspective, breakfast is unique among our meals because it is eaten after an overnight fast.
Eating a healthy, nourishing and a balanced breakfast is very essential to provide enough energy and preventing us from over eating throughout the day.
Skipping breakfast may be better than consuming unwholesome breakfast.
Breakfast is an important part of a healthy dietary pattern to improve health and mitigate lifestyle-related chronic diseases.
Scientific data increasingly shows that breakfast plays an important role in ensuring the good health and wellbeing of an individual.
Preparation of the breakfast is very convenience since none of these ingredients required tedious preparation or longer cooking.
Breakfast have a range of varieties. One can choose different kind of the breakfast on the regular basis as per needs and the health conditions.
Preparation of some breakfast do not involved the cooking process, some required partial cooking and some required deep frying and cooking.
Different types of healthy breakfast
Some of the common breakfast types are mentioned below.
- Mixed fruits breakfast includes the intake of 3 to 5 different types of the seasonal fruits.
- A 60kg healthy person can eat mixed fruits around 500-600g in their breakfast.
- When someone is following fruit based breakfast then finished the breakfast before 10:00am and try to take lunch 2-3 h post breakfast.
Sprouts and Nuts
- Including sprouts and nuts in breakfast provides significant amount of vitamins and other essential micronutrients.
- One can eat use sprouts of the Moong and Chana along with the soaked Almond and Cashew.
- While making spouts based breakfast try to include tomatoes and some leaves of the coriander.
- To neutralize the anti-nutrient factors present in the sprouts, soaked the sprouts in boiling water for 1-2 minute before eating.
Nitric oxide breakfast
It is one of the best breakfast for person suffering with the blood pressure and other metabolic syndromes.
Nitric oxide breakfast recipe includes,
- Moong sprouts (50g)
- Raw Coconut (50g, cutes in small pieces)
- Almond (10-20 g soaked in water overnight)
- Tomato (1 large piece of the chopped tomato)
- Beetroot (1 medium size cutes in small pieces)
- Green chili (1 piece, chopped)
- Coriander leaf (a handful)
- Lemon Juice (½ or 1 piece)
Mixed all the ingredients in large bowl and enjoy it.
- Some of the common seeds which can be consumes occasionally in the breakfast includes, Chia seeds, flaxseeds, and Char Magaz seeds.
- Chia seed is an incredible seed which is packed with dietary fibers, antioxidants, and significantly large quantity of the Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Flaxseeds is a kind of the superfood which is the rich source of the omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid, and dietary fibers.
- Char magaz seed is a combination of the four seeds i.e Watermelon Seeds, Muskmelon Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, and Cucumber Seeds and full with protein, fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
- It can be prepared by grinding the overnight soaked almonds and Cashew nuts in the milk or water.
- It can be further enriched for the protein and essential fats and micronutrients by adding the soaked Char magaz seeds while grinding.
- It can be also topped with the water soaked chia seed to increase the nutritional value of the protein shake.
There are numerous kind of the cooked breakfast. But I am mentioning only those breakfast which are healthy and easy to make.
Aaloo Paratha- Aaloo paratha is one of the highly eaten breakfast in the Northern part of the India.
Veg Paratha– This paratha can be made with the grated vegetables such as carrot, cauliflower, Shimla mirch etc.
Poha- It is an easy to make breakfast. It can be made by adding ground nut or green peas in the poha while cooking. If both are not available then it can also be prepared by adding onion and tomatoes.
Rava Upama- It is very much common in the Southern part of the India. It is an easy to make and easily digestible breakfast.
Besan Chilla- It can be made from Besan mixed with chopped onion, tomato, and ginger along with green chili and salt as per taste.
Moong Chilla- It is very nutritious paratha which can be prepared by grinding the overnight soaked Moong. In this onion, tomato and chili can be added as per taste.
Sabudana Khichadi- It is a highly nutritious dish. It can be eaten during the fasting. It is rich in the carbohydrates.
Easy to make breakfast
There are some breakfast which either do not require any cooking or just few minutes of cooking. This can be prepared by any one easily.
- Oatmeal is an indispensable in breakfast because it is healthy, delicious and easy to make in short span of time.
- For making a serving bowl of oatmeal, we required ½ cup of the oatmeal and 1 cup of milk or the water. Salt can be used as per taste if required.
- This can be cooked by boiling the oatmeal in milk or water on the medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Cornflake breakfast is a kind of easy to make breakfast.
- In compare to whole grain breakfast it low in the fiber. But adding some kinds of fruits make is a complete breakfast.
- Nutritional value of the cornflake can be enriched by adding the muesli or other dry fruits in it.
Take home message
Breakfast is one of the important component of diet. One should try to eat their breakfast on time and should not consume unwholesome foods in the breakfast.
Gibney MJ, Barr SI, Bellisle F, et al. Breakfast in Human Nutrition: The International Breakfast Research Initiative. Nutrients. 2018; 10 (5):559. Published 2018 May 1. doi:10.3390/nu10050559
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides a general information only. It is in no way a substitute for trained medical practitioner opinion. Always consult a specialist or your doctor for more information. We do not claim any obligation for this information.